Saturday, August 2, 2008

Shopping with Kids

Yep, I am one of those moms that takes her kids everywhere with her. Most people think I'm nuts but we DO have to go to the grocery store every now and then;) So I thought I'd give a few tips to help you keep your sanity while shopping with kids. Not that I'm the expert or anything-I've just been there a few times.

1. Early morning trips when everyone is fresh and fed work great!!!

2. We often drive 30 minutes when doing shopping so a bathroom trip upon arrival at the store is often good.

3.On the way, I usually think about what needs to be done the most and map out my plans( which store 1st, what I can't go home without etc.)

4. I always pack raisins,peanut butter crackers and such to entertain and hold them over til lunch.

5. Make a list!! When I don't, I always leave something important out. (Especially if the kids go nuts)

6. If they do go nuts, remain calm. They usually don't care if I am about to loose my mind so the only person I am hurting is myself.

7. My kids are much better when they have a job to do. When we are at the grocery store, we take turns finding what I need(older ones) and putting things in the shopping cart.

8. Love those places where there is a play area. I love the ones in the malls and so do my kids. They know that if they are sweet they will get to play for awhile.

9. If we are in a hurry, we make it a game. How long will it take us to get in and out with what we need?? They love guessing!

10. I try to make the end result something to look forward to like picking the place to eat lunch, a movie when we get home, play time in the play area. My boys really need to know that I won't make them shop for an eternity;)


Hope these little suggestions help you have a smoother trip! Please feel free to comment. I love new ideas!!!

No comments: